The externship program at Mid Island Psychology Associates (MIPA) is an opportunity for doctoral level, clinical or school-clinical graduate students to receive training in evidence-based, Behavioral & Cognitive therapies which both represent the expertise of our staff and serve the needs of our patients. MIPA specializes in the treatment of Anxiety disorders and thus the therapeutic modalities employed are supported by science and represent current, state of the art techniques psychotherapy.MIPA is a private group practice of clinical psychologists who provide these empirically supported treatments in a collaborative, comfortable and supportive environment. All supervisory staff are licensed in New York State.
Overall at MIPA, we see a wide range of diagnoses. We are experts in the many ways anxiety is expressed and therefore frequently work with individuals presenting with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and others on the OCD spectrum, phobias, generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and various manifestations of trauma – including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).Furthermore our patients often include but are not limited to the following diagnoses which often are associated with a strong anxiety component: attention deficit/hyperactivity (ADHD),body focused repetitive behaviors, borderline personality disorder, eating disorders, hoarding, mood disorders, and Tourette’s/tic disorders to name a few.
Most MIPA staff members have expertise in Exposure Therapy and its variant models including exposure with response prevention (ERP), prolonged exposure (PE) and virtual reality exposure therapy (VRET).Additionally, staff may use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT).
Director of Professional Training.
Mitchell Schare, Ph.D is responsible for oversight of the externship program. He is a licensed, NYS Psychologist, is Board Certified in Behavioral & Cognitive therapies by the American Board of Professional Psychology and a Fellow of the Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapies. Dr. Schare is a Professor of Clinical Psychology at Hofstra University, a former Director of Clinical Psychology for the PhD program, an active researcher and a clinician for over 35 years.
- Primary therapist for approximately 6-8 cases using Exposure Therapy
- Co-lead DBT skills group
- Executive Functioning rehabilitation
- 1 hour weekly of individual supervision
- 1 hour weekly group/staff supervision
- 1 hour weekly didactics
- Staff consultation as needed
- Integrative psychological evaluations
- Application of VRET to casework when plausible
- Consultation with schools, psychiatrists, pediatricians, nutritionists, etc
- Opportunities for research
- Possible presentations/community outreach/training
Minimal Candidate Qualifications:
- Currently enrolled in a Doctoral Psychology program for Clinical/School/Counseling/Community health service providers.
- Letter of readiness & good standing from Doctoral program.
- Current CV.
- Two letters of recommendation (minimum of one from academic setting) attesting to clinical skills. Letters may be sent directly to email@example.com
- Students with CBT training/experience preferred.